2 years ago
Back in February 2011 I ended an important chapter in my theme development with the release of Alyeska and decided to open a new one. At that point, I had several themes running on somewhat of a similar theme framework, which I have officially dubbed version 1. These themes included Alyeska, Stealth, FlipBlog and Complexity and they all included similar features.
With these themes setup, selling, and earning me income, it gave me some time to really analyze what I was doing. I didn’t like that it took me three months to create each new WordPress theme. I didn’t like that when someone found some little bug in one theme, it was chaotic for me to try and locate that bug in the other themes. As I tried to come up with new features to add, I started realizing I was so limited by what I already had setup. So, I decided to completely re-think how I create WordPress themes. I decided I would convert my current theme framework into a true “framework” and do it from scratch.
Through educating myself, doing research outside of sloppily finding code snippets on there on the net, reading WordPress’s core files, analyzing every little detail I was coding in, attending WordCamps, and just completely re-doing it all from scratch, I eventually did it; it took 9 months.
I officially released my first theme under this new framework, Swagger, in December 2011. This marked the beginning of version 2 of my theme framework. It was a fairly successful release, and from a functionality standpoint, people seemed to just get it.
So, after the first few quirks were worked out and some bug were fixed, I ambitiously pumped out three more themes under this new framework in a short amount of time – Breakout, Prime Time, and The Arcadian.
I am at a bit of a crossroads still though. I want to make sure all of my previous buyers can have access to these new features that the new framework offers. So, moving forward as I create new themes, I will also start to convert my old themes to this new framework. However, if you’re currently using one of my version 1 themes, you need to understand that this is not a simple “update” for me. Converting an old theme means that I have to completely re-do that theme. And unfortunately the way these big theme marketplaces like ThemeForest are structured, it’s all about having new themes. Without new themes, you eventually fall out of sight. So I will need to mix updating old themes and creating new themes. This will be a long process, but in the end everything will hopefully be on the same page.